Time can be cruel, both on your body and on your skin. You can’t turn back the clock to reverse the effects of aging, but you can slow it down and reduce the visible signs. By including certain ingredients in your anti-aging skin care routine, you can restore the youthful appearance of your skin.
Skin care is important no matter your age, but as you get older, it become even more important to choose the best anti-aging skin care products.
Choosing the right products for your skin type and being careful to avoid certain ingredients is the key to keeping your skin looking and feeling its best.
In this article, we’ll review the top 5 ingredients you should add to your anti-aging skin care routine and provide you with some of the best anti-aging secrets to keep your skin young and fresh.
5 Ingredients to Add to Your Anti-Aging Skin Care Routine
The best anti-aging skin care products use ingredients that help minimize the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots. Moisturization and exfoliation are key elements in any skin care routine, but as your skin gets older, you need to be careful not to treat your skin too harshly.
Here are the top 5 ingredients you should add to your skin care routine for anti-aging benefits:
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids
Now, let’s take a closer look at these five ingredients
The first ingredient on this list, retinol, is something of a cure-all. A vitamin-A derivative, retinol treats everything from fine lines and wrinkles to dull complexion and sun spots. It speeds cell turnover, removing dead skin cells that sit on the surface of your skin, making your complexion and your wrinkles worse, and it boosts circulation to the skin as well. To use this ingredient, apply after cleansing and let it soak in before applying moisturizer.
Hydroquinone is a powerful ingredient for lightening pigmented skin, so it helps even out your skin tone by reducing the appearance of sun spots and age spots.
This ingredient works by blocking the enzyme that increases melanin production in the skin, so you can apply it directly to the affected area.
After using hydroquinone, you need to be especially careful about UV protection,and you should start with a milder solution and work your way up to higher concentrations.
You’ve probably heard about antioxidants in food and their benefits for fighting free-radical damage, but did you know that they can do the same for your skin? Antioxidants have the ability to penetrate deep into the skin, targeting harmful free radicals to stop them from destroying the collagen and elastin that gives your skin its bounce-back quality. In addition to protecting your skin from damage, antioxidants can also boost collagen production and cell repair.
4. Alpha Hydroxy Acids
One of the best ways to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles is to exfoliate your skin, removing the top layer of dead skin cells to reveal healthy, younger-looking skin beneath.
Alpha hydroxy acids like glycolic acid are chemical exfoliants which penetrate the skin better than physical exfoliants (like microbeads) without causing irritation or damage to the skin.
These anti-aging skin care treatments can be used twice a week to keep your skin looking fresh.
You may be surprised to see sunscreen on the list of the best anti-aging secrets, but the truth is that protecting your skin from UV rays is important no matter your age. By protecting your skin from harmful UV rays, you can prevent the signs of premature aging like wrinkles, sagging skin, and sun spots. Using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher will help keep those UVA and UVB rays from destroying the elastin and collagen fibers in your skin to maintain your youthful appearance.
Now that you’ve learned about the best ingredients to include in your anti-aging skin care routine let’s talk about some skin care tips for anti-aging.
The Best Anti-Aging Skin Care Tips
At this point in your life, you may feel like you have your skin care routine down, but there is always room for improvement – especially when it comes to anti-aging skin care. In addition to choosing the best anti-aging skin care products, you need to know how to use them.
Here are some simple anti-aging skin care tips you can start trying today:
- Consider switching to a gentle, soap-free cleanser that won’t dry out your skin. This is particularly important if you have sensitive or acne-prone skin.
- Choose skin care products appropriate for your skin type – if you don’t know your skin type, you can find a quiz online to help you figure it out.
- Use sunscreen on a daily basis and not just when you go to the pool – the best thing to do is switch to a daily moisturizer that includes SPF.
- Focus your anti-aging skin care routine on hydration – switching to a richer face cream will help trap moisture in your skin, keeping it plump and hydrated instead of dry and dull.
- Consider taking skin-supporting supplements like omega-3 fish oil supplements and supplements that contain B vitamins.
- If you’re not already exfoliating your skin at least once a week, it’s time to start – choose a gentle chemical exfoliant rather than a harsh scrub and follow the instructions.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body and the literal face you present to the world. It is never too late to start taking better care of your skin, and if you try some of the ingredients and skin care tips presented here, you’ll start seeing healthier, younger-looking skin in no time at all. Good luck!
- The Top 8 Causes of Hearing Loss and How to Treat It - May 15, 2019
- Get Fit Fast: How to Get Back in Shape for Summer - May 15, 2019
- Reduce Depression and Anxiety with This Essential Oil Aromatherapy Recipe - April 10, 2019